David Rawlins Ltd Chartered Surveyors
- Independent, Professional and personal General Practice property surveying services to residential clients of modern and old houses before and after purchase.
- A Residential Property Surveyor for over 40 years including over 26 years in York area, David Rawlins DipBldgCons FRICS IHBC has offered purchasers RICS Home Buyers Survey & Valuations, Building Surveys or specialist Historic Building Survey reports on Listed Buildings or other period houses, and Single Defect Inspections such as in respect of damp issues etc. There are many potential causes of damp: it is not necessarily resolved by a chemical DPC.
- As a Historic Building Consultant and IHBC Accredited Conservation Surveyor, I specialise on Building surveys of period houses, although we also undertake surveys of 20th & 21st Century dwellings, usually as RICS Home Buyer Reports & Valuations. Single defect reports are available on, for example, damp issues, windows, and other building elements. I am an IHBC Accredited Historic Environment Service Provider(HESPR)
- Heritage Statements of Significance / Assessments where pre-planning application heritage assessments are required. Sometimes combined with Condition Reports.
- Specialist advice on Historic Buildings and their remedial repair.
- I aim to ensure the good health of such buildings by studying them in a holistic manner.
- Local knowledge. My Office is located between York and Selby.
- We aim to carry out these services in a professional, friendly and efficient manner, so that your instruction will be done in a totally hassle free way.
- IHBC Yorkshire Branch Committee member
- RICS Registered Valuer
- Regulated by the RICS.
- I am happy to discuss the outcome of the property survey before and after completion of the written report. Just call me on 01757 249327.
- Regular Maintenance Inspections, as required.
- As a fully independent home surveyors we do not receive fees from Estate Agents or others for referrals of property surveys; the advice offered is specific for the client instructing with no potential for conflict of interest.
The diagnosis of defects and the repair of old buildings is a different skill from that of modern buildings. It is important to adopt an approach which works with the structure of the buildings and recognises the advantages of traditional forms of building. David Rawlins DipBldgCons FRICS IHBC, Conservation Surveyor, has received additional specialist training and qualification to enable interpretation and analysis of historic structures and the impact, if any, of modern materials, which may be detrimental to old houses, including Listed Buildings. The survey will identify the different building methods and materials used in the construction and differentiate significant failures from old construction in an holistic manner. The report will provide appropriate recommendations on the necessity of repair or conservation work, with a summary of the recommendations in priority order. Comment is also made in respect of Energy efficiency matters: I am increasingly seeing problems arising as a direct result of poorly considered efforts at internal wall insulation.
A Building Survey encompasses what used to be called the Structural Survey and is a detailed report on the building in question.
Home buyer reports
The RICS Home Buyer Survey & Valuation is a report on the condition and value of residential property which, for the type of property that it suits, provides sufficient information for most purchasers to make decisions. Reports of this nature are usually suitable for dwellings built in the last 100 years. They are invariably insufficient for buildings built over 100 years.
The Homebuyers Report comprises a limited inspection and report using a standard format, and includes a Market Valuation, which is based on analysis of other sales in the area. The format is designed for small houses or flats which are of traditional modern construction and built to broadly modern building regulations standards. It identifies what the surveyor considers to be the most important issues. By applying condition ratings to elements of the building, the services and any garages and permanent outbuildings, the surveyor will tell you whether defects are serious or urgent. It also includes the surveyors opinion of the market value and reinstatement cost (which you will need for insurance purposes). It focuses on matters that, in the surveyors opinion, may affect the value of the property if they are not dealt with. Comments are aided by over 35 years post qualification experience.
Independent damp surveys & other Single Defect Reports
Specific Diagnostic reports with regard to repairs/works on old houses, such as on Damp issues and Energy Efficiency matters affecting old houses. Assessments as to the CAUSE of the problem before advising how to deal with the SYMPTOM. Verbal or written comments can be provided. For examples of defects where advice has been given, view our services page. At a time when heat loss is having expensive consequences for house owners, there has been an increasing tendency for Green Deal advisers and developers to "improve" energy efficiency without giving sufficient consideration to the format of insulation and its potential impact on the house construction, and the presence of dampness, past, present and future. I am seeing increasing evidence of condensation and dampness following "wall insulation", but also increasing evidence of dampness arising due to inappropriate works undertaken to houses of solid construction, sometimes many years ago. Advice is therefore given on the consequences.
Chartered Surveyors undertaking fully independent House Surveys & Valuations in York, Selby, Goole, Harrogate, Thirsk, Pocklington, Market Weighton, Pickering, Malton & across North & East Yorkshire.
As Local and Independent chartered surveyors we inspect all types of buildings & structures. You can view pictures of further examples of buildings surveyed.
Regulated by the RICS
RICS Registered Valuer
To Contact click here